On 2011-10-16, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> On Sunday 16 October 2011 06:06:02 Uwe Stöhr wrote:
>> Am 14.10.2011 08:19, schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann:

> mhchem.sty not found
> and:
>  \usepackage
>                 [unicode=true,^^M
> *** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

> I searched for
> mhchem.sty
> in the preamble with no success

It's auto-loaded by LyX, not in the custom preamble.
You should see it in View>Source with "view complete document" checked.

> I see at the begin of the math file
> Eine Ausnahme ist mhchem; wenn es nicht installiert ist, kann dieses
> Dokument nicht exportiert werden.

That is exactly what you experienced: without the package, the document does
not compile.

> Not sure what this means exactly: does lyx not find the mhchem or is it
> completely missing. I thought texlive 2010 takes care of the package.

Other than MikTeX, texlive does not auto-install missing packages. On my
Debian system, mhchem is in "texlive-science". On a recent,
non-Linux-distribution-based TeXLive installation, you should start tlmgr
and search/install the package.

Günter