On Thursday, January 05, 2012 06:43:45 PM Gerry Clare wrote:
> I am a fairly new LyX user. I recently edited a chapter (Document
> class 'report') that I had previously had no trouble compiling. I
> now get the following errors:
>
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> ! Extra }, or forgotten $.
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \item invalid in math mode.
> ! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.
> ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
>
> Although I have read some suggestions on Google, I can't seem to
> get to the bottom of these errors.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Gerry,

Because I know very little of LaTeX, the underlying technology of LyX,
the way I fix these type of problems is divide and conquer. First I
back up my file for safe keeping. Then I split it roughly in half, and
see if the symptom remains. If it does, I split it in half again. If
it's still there, I split it in half again, etc.

Of course, sometimes the symptom goes away when I take material away,
so when it goes away, I put back half the material I last took away.
Keep half-splitting it and pretty soon you'll get it down to a tiny
document that exhibits the problem, and the root cause becomes
obvious.

This works for just about any situation where LyX fails to compile to
PDF etc.

Hope this helps.

SteveT

Steve Litt                :  http://www.troubleshooters.com