On 01/05/2012 06:43 PM, Gerry Clare wrote:
I am a fairly new LyX user. I recently edited a chapter (Document class
'report') that I had previously had no trouble compiling. I now get the
following errors:

! Missing $ inserted.
! Extra }, or forgotten $.
! LaTeX Error: Command \item invalid in math mode.
! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.
! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.

Many of these sorts of errors occur because of a mistaken environment setting. For example, if you accidentally have a whole bunch of stuff included in a "heading" type environment, it can mess things up badly. Of course, if you have some ERT included, you might have a problem there, too. LyX is really quite good at writing tex that actually compiles, so if it doesn't, there is usually some sort of unnoticed mistake somewhere.

The previous suggestion is a good one, though. Break the file up (after saving it) into pieces to see in which piece the problem lies. If you still can't isolate it, put the smallest bad chunk of the document on the list, and I'll take a look at it.

--

David L. Johnson

The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand mathematics.