Thanks for your comments. Just to update you, the problem was due to
incompatible encoding in BibTeX. I imported some citations with accented
characters in the author names - these failed to show in the reference
database. When I over-rode the encoding by manually inserting the characters,
the problem went away. Took me several days to work out!