On 02/12/2012 12:04 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:41 AM, Richard Heck wrote:

The problem may be that these are Unicode characters (so is the quote you mentioned). You might try compiling with XeTeX or LuaTeX, which use Unicode.

Thanks, Richard. My only way to get from Scrivener to LaTeX/LyX is to compile in Scrivener. The out from Scrivener is a tex file. Would I then compile that with XeTeX or LuaTex? If so, could you give me quick pointers how to get started with that? Or a reference to instructions?

Once you have the file in LyX, just try: View>PDF(XeTeX), e.g. That said, I'm definitely not an expert on this encoding stuff. If you could produce a really simple example file---create it in Scrivener and export it as usual---that exhibits the problem, that will definitely help.

I don't know if its possible, would another option be to get Scrivener to stop outputing Unicode characters?

It might, but I don't know Scrivener.

Richard