On Feb 13, 2012, at 9:16 AM, stefano franchi wrote:

> you may have to check the encoding of your lyx file. If you use XeTeX
> compilation (or LuaTeX, for that mater) the file should be in Unicode.
> It looks like it isn't. Be sure:
>
> 1. that Scrivener-generated LateX code is in Unicode encoding (it may
> be an option---LaTex was unable to read unicode until recently.

Thanks, Stefano. I'm still waiting on a response from the Scrivener listserv.

> 2. That Lyx properly treats the file as Unicode-encoded. IT should do
> so automatically, but just to be on the safe side,go to
> Document>>Settings>>Language  under "Encoding" select the radio button
> "Other" and from the drop-down list next to it choose *Unicode (XeTeX)
> (UTF8)"

I made this change and tried compiling with XeTeX and LuaTeX. Still getting the
weird substitutions. Tried quitting LyX and compiling again with the same
result.

Is it possible that I will need to reimport the tex output from Scrivener?

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz