On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
>
> Once you have the file in LyX, just try: View>PDF(XeTeX), e.g. That said,
> I'm definitely not an expert on this encoding stuff. If you could produce a
> really simple example file---create it in Scrivener and export it as
> usual---that exhibits the problem, that will definitely help.
>

> Thanks again, Richard. I thought the XeTeX/LuaTeX suggestion would involve
> an additional compiling step. I see that it does not. Both compile, but
> instead of giving error messages they substitute weird characters for the
> problemmatic characters, e.g., an em-dash becomes âĂT. Sometimes it does
> the same for en-dashes, sometimes not. Sometimes with the apostrophe,
> sometimes not. Also with accented characters.

Eric,

you may have to check the encoding of your lyx file. If you use XeTeX
compilation (or LuaTeX, for that mater) the file should be in Unicode.
It looks like it isn't. Be sure:

1. that Scrivener-generated LateX code is in Unicode encoding (it may
be an option---LaTex was unable to read unicode until recently.
2. That Lyx properly treats the file as Unicode-encoded. IT should do
so automatically, but just to be on the safe side,go to
Document>>Settings>>Language  under "Encoding" select the radio button
"Other" and from the drop-down list next to it choose *Unicode (XeTeX)
(UTF8)"

Hope it helps,

Stefano

> The file I'm working on is not that complicated: 12 pages with bibliography
> and footnotes; title, author, and section headings formatted KOMA-Script
> default.
>
> Assuming that the problem is Unicode characters, I'm also gonna check with
> the Scrivener forum to see if there's a way to stop that.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA  USA
> eew...@bellsouth.net

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org