On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:00:09 +0100
Helge Hafting <helge.haft...@hist.no> wrote:

> On 14. feb. 2012 13:04, Eric Weir wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 14, 2012, at 2:01 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> [...]
> >> with TeX), or MS Word documents for journals and proceedings. I
> >> have experienced that some of these journals and proceedings were
> >> in fact produced with TeX in the end, but even then they have not
> >> accepted TeX file as input from me, simply because the editors and
> >> reviewers don't know how to deal with that format.
> >
> > How do you deal with this?
>
> I sent my editor/proofreader a PDF. She printed it and mailed back
> the printed pages, with every change indicated in pen.
>
> Basically, the oldfashioned way that works with everything: hand- and
> typewritten manuscripts, as well as stuff written in mysterious
> unknown software. :-)
>
> Editors have a whole system of notation for this sort of work. Quick
> for them to write, and it is easy to understand without training.
> Slashes over stuff to remove, arrows for moving, alternative
> words/spelling in the margin . . .
>
> Not having the editor edit my text directly was an advantage. Editors
> make mistakes too, especially when they don't know all the jargon.
> This way, I did not have to watch for such errors. I simply avoided
> them when implementing the changes, and told them why on the next
> iteration.
>
> Helge Hafting

Hi Helge,

There are two downsides to marking up paper in red ink:

1) The paper can get lost
2) No room for queries and responses
2) There is no historical record of queries, responses, and changes

#1 can be easily fixed by scanning, so it's no problem. #2 can be fixed
by referencing numbered queries, but it's a lot more work for the
editor and, depending on how much context the editor puts in, a little
or a lot more work for the writer. #3 could conceivably be fixed by
numbering the papers with red ink, but it's a poor solution.

The benefits you state for red ink on paper are certainly true, so it's
a tradeoff of benefits one must evaluate before deciding whether to go
red pen on paper.

SteveT