Am 13.02.2012 23:35, schrieb stefano franchi:

Well, that's exactly the issue. IF your publisher does the
typesetting, THEN you can forget about LaTeX.

I don't know any scientific publisher who is not using TeX. Also most of the humanity-linked publishers are using it in the background. They sometimes even require MS Word format but transform the word file to TeX to be able to layout the text properly. So just ask you publisher.

However, know your typesetting fate before you start to write and
choose the right options (including whther to buy a LaTeX book or
not)---it will make everything simpler later on.

I still cannot agree to this. If you need a special LaTeX book, then I failed my goal. I invested countless hours for the LyX documentation to overcome the need of learning LaTeX. (When I started TeXing it frustrated me a lot and the LaTeX books even more.)

What is of course helpful is to look into the documentation of the document class you are using. So in case you prefer memoir or KOMA-script, look at its documentation file, but first after you finished your first chapter. Then you already have a feeling how writing with LyX works. Document class options can be added and removed at any time later.

regards Uwe