On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Jens Nöckel <noec...@uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2012, at 2:58 PM, stefano franchi wrote:

>>> I don't know any scientific publisher who is not using TeX. Also most of the
>>> humanity-linked publishers are using it in the background. They sometimes
>>> even require MS Word format but transform the word file to TeX to be able to
>>> layout the text properly. So just ask you publisher.
>>
>> Sorry Uwe, but this is not true---at least not in the US. Most
>> publishers in my field (Humanities) do not use latex at all. When
>> they ask for Word is because they use inDesign or Quark Xpress (this
>> one less and less true).  And smaller presses--or not so small
>> presses, like Rodopi---just go for PDF+print-on demand. I hear from
>> colleagues that the  social sciences are the same. Latex dominates in
>> CS and Math only. Even some (and, I hear, more and more) hard
>> scientists (i.e. physicists) now use word.
>>
> Sorry, Stefano - but LaTeX is undoubtedly the main physics publication
> vehicle.

Glad to hear it! The day MS Word goes out of existence I will be a happy camper.

> And LyX has gotten orders of magnitude better at decoupling the user
> experience from the LaTeX source in the past decade, so I would agree that
> you no longer need to know LaTeX to use it in a standard way. There are still
> the occasional LaTeX errors, but I can't recall any specific recent example,
> and that just proves that things have improved a lot…

Here we disagree. I have been helping another user with a conversion
issue just today---and I would not have gone anywhere without knowing
(a bit of) LaTex. Lyx may well have reach the poitn where 80% or 90%
of what you need to do is Latex-free. Even 95%. Still, it is not 100%
(and, in my opinion, it never will. Latex certainly isn't).
This is not meant to be a criticism of the great job of the Lyx
developers. I think Lyx is a great program that would deserves a much
greater user base than it has. I am certainly glad I use it---and I
don't use it anything else.

I'll shut up now---we are veering dangerously close to pure
philosophy---and that's work ;-)

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org