On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:55:47 -0700, Zan said:

> On Nov 24, 2012, at 5:56 PM, "Alan L Tyree" <alanty...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 25/11/12 13:27, Charlie wrote:
> >>  On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:15:32 -0500 "David L. Johnson
> >> d...@lehigh.edu" suggested this:

> >>   Great, that's settled then.
> >>
> >>   There is no effort required to ignore the message. However, as
> >>   explained previously, if there is no message, then there is
> >> effort on someones behalf required, when the questions roll in
> >> asking why someone can't type two spaces behind a full stop.
> >>
> >> So we have the answer, leave the message as is and ignore it. No
> >> effort expended and you just get on with what you're doing.
> >>
> >> Nothing more need be written about the subject. Whatcha reckon.
> >>
> >> Be well,
> >> Charlie
> >>     --
> >>    Registered Linux User:- 329524
> >>    ***********************************************
> >>
> >>    There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who
> >>    is striking at the root. .........Henry David Thoreau
> >>
> >>    ***********************************************
> >>
> >>    Debian GNU/Linux - just the best way to create magic
> >>
> >>    -----------------------------------------------------
> > Charlie, Charlie,
> > Your sensible suggestion ignores the Parkinson rule about
> > committees. You will recall that he observed that committees will
> > pass multi-million dollar proposals for, say, a new nuclear plant
> > in seconds. However, a resolution concerning tea room costs will be
> > argued for hours if not for days.
> >
> > Here is an issue that everyone can understand. It will NEVER go
> > away!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alan
> > (Who learned to put two spaces after a full stop in typing class,
> > but likes the warning in LyX).
> >

> > --
> > Alan L Tyree                    http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan
> > Tel:  04 2748 6206        sip:172...@iptel.org
> >
> as a basic user who habitually taps twice...
>
> Keep the function but kill the message. _nothing_ is a fine response
> for a habitual second push of the space bar. The message is
> unnecessary and graphically distracting after the second reminder.

Geez, I swore I wouldn't get involved in this thread, but it gets
crazier and crazier as the days roll on, and maybe, just maybe, I can
help shove it back in its grave where it belongs.

First, somebody revives this April thread, and this psycho zombie thread
comes out of the grave, consuming everybody's time.

All over a little tiny message at the bottom of the window where I would
think you wouldn't look unless you had a question about something (like
maybe "hey dude, what happened to my second space?"). What's the big
deal? And then there's this: What ever happened to "if it works, don't
fix it?" I mean really, is this worth our time arguing about it, let
alone the developers' time changing it (and then perhaps answering
newbies "hey dude, what happened to my second space?" questions)?

One guy said the program should be changed to remove message in the
name of WYSIWYM purity. Another guy said typists are taught to put two
spaces after a period. As a guy who learned typing, on a manual
typewriter, from a middle school typing teacher in 1963, let me
unequivocally state that it IS possible to unlearn that, either on a
global or program by program basis. A couple people want LyX to work
like their other programs. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't have all
that much trouble adapting to three hyphens between clauses in LyX, and
two when authoring HTML. I mean, if we were dumb, we'd be using MSWord,
right?

But my favorite is the guy who wants this free software program changed
to accommodate his iPad's and iPhone's iOS environment's use of double
spacing. Hey dude, isn't there an app for that? And by the way, how
many words per day do you pound out on your cell phone? Sheesh!

In summary, let's leave well enough alone and go on to things that can
materially improve LyX users' productivity.

Thanks,

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt