On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Trevor Jenkins <bslwann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is natural to anyone who uses a typewriter. Typists are deliberately
> taught to put two spaces after a full stop!

As Rob pointed out (and please do check out the reference), this makes
sense for a typewriter monospace font. It makes little sense for a

Moreover, LaTeX simply ignores two adjacent (simple) spaces, the very
reason for LyX not allowing to input that. LaTeX spaces are not the
same as Word or typewriter spaces (again, see Rob's comments and check
out other references that discuss this issue), and LaTeX uses
appropriate algorithms to determine how much space should be left
between a full stop and the beginning of a new sentence. Two spaces is
the wrong way to do this, at least in the context of LaTeX.

>> If the message itself is what bothers you, then try not to look at it.
>> With time you'll get used to ignoring it completely.
>
> Bollox! It disturbs the visual perception of the user

Then use fullscreen mode.

> to no good purpose
> other than to be smart ass about some convention that a few people don't
> like. Errors and warnings should be displayed for real problems not the
> imagined superiority of programmers.

But now you are getting aggressive. From the top of my head this is
the one worst way to try to convince the devels of LyX---whom you
should thank for the elegant product that they provide, for free---to
implement your pet feature. Good luck with that.

But if this issue is such a deal breaker, then feel free to switch to
Scientific WorkPlace. It may cost you 1000$ or so, but you'll likely
be able type two spaces as you wish to. (Disclaimer: Before buying
that, check with the vendor that it indeed allows that.)

Liviu