On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Graham Smith <myotis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's odd. The first question that pops to mind: Do you use the
>> Document > Compressed option? Maybe this corrupts things.
>
> What is also odd is that  I can open the file with no problem using a text
> editor on the Mac, indeed the file preview in the Mac file Manager
> (Pathfinder) reads it without any problems. BUT I have just tried on Ubuntu
> (open with text editor) , and it won't open.

Yes, it's rather strange. Geany complains as follows:
15:04:42: The file "/tmp/Phase1_Tutorial.lyx" does not look like a
text file or the file encoding is not supported.

Maybe it's an issue with the linebreaks which can differ from a
platform to another, but I'm surprised that an advanced editor as
Geany would trip on that.

> I certainly haven't selected the compressed option, but this particular file
> is 7 months old, and I can't remember whether it originated on the Mac or
> Ubuntu or even the version of Lyx. I will check the compressed option in
> future.
>
> However, it seems there is no obvious answer, so I will just be more
> cautious in future.

If you ever manually edit your .lyx files in a text editor, try to
make sure that the result is accessible on both your platforms.

Liviu