On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Graham Smith <myotis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hard drives have all recently had some form of hardware check run on them in
> the last few weeks, and this may in fact be the first file to go wrong with
> my current computer set up, so maybe its a legacy of a past hard drive.

For this very reason it is generally a good idea to keep (at least)
text files such as *.lyx under a version control system or, if you'd
like to minimize the overhead, some automatic backup system.

Dropbox seems to be most popular of the lot, and although reliable it
is not very flexible (and not privacy aware). SpiderOak is what
prefer, and although it has some rough edges here and there it usually
does its job well. Also it is more generous in terms of free storage
provided to users (see [1] for my referral link so that we both get 1
extra GB) and is privacy aware (you're uploading blocks of encrypted
data, with their staff technically unable to decrypt your personal
stuff).

My 00.02€
Liviu

[1]