On 11/25/2012 11:11 AM, Graham Smith wrote:

Richard,

         so I will just be more cautious in future.

    This file is definitley corrupt. Here's the result of "hexdump -c
    | head -n 25":

    If you've had this problem more than once, you may want to think
    about whether you have a hardware problem that is corrupting your
    files.

It has happened occasionally before, maybe 3 or 4 times over the same number of years. It's difficult to track, as its always the same situation lecture notes or a tutorial than has sat there for 8 to 12 months untouched, and then I can't open it to revise for the current term.
My students would testify that many of my notes are far, far more than 8-12 months old when I open and "revise" them for the current term, and this has never happened to me [except on very, very old files whose format is no longer supported directly by lyx].

Thinking about it the computer that probably produced this file is no longer in use, but it wasn't corrupt when last used as I printed out the PDF from it, so it has become corrupt sitting on my hard drive.
Well, your hard drive has probably begun to fail, corrupting random areas on the disk. Although disk drives do seem more reliable than they used to be, it does still happen.

--

David L. Johnson

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
                -- Albert Einstein