On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 December 2012 01:21, Jacob Bishop <bishop.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > have found very few people in the social sciences who are even aware of
> > LaTeX. Not closed minded, just unaware. They use MS Word and Endnote
> because
> > they don't know that there are good/better (free) alternatives.
>
> And this stems from the fact that social science has negligible need
> for (typesetting) equations, because that's what really sets LaTeX
> apart. With MS Word you can configure references, cite them and
> arrange your document based on styles. For qualitative/descriptive
> papers, that is enough. As such, few people find any need to go out of
> their way to look for something better.

<rant>
Not true. LyX/Latex's benefits are not limited to typesetting equations
(although it does a much better job that its competition in that area). A
Latex-typeset document looks better in many other respects---from
paragraph-division and typesetting (in spite of recent improvements in
Word's algorithms), to consistent application of style, down to small but
crucial things such as determining font sizes/leading[1].

The reason why Social sciences/Humanities are happy with Word/Endnote is
(historically speaking) different: authors used to submit  Word files (or,
earlier, Wordstar) and the publisher would import and typeset with real
typesetting software. Such programs (and still are) were usually very bad
at typesetting complex mathematical formulas unless each single formula was
tweaked by hand, a very painful and expensive proposition. That was
prompted D Knuth to invent TeX---the poor quality of professional
typesetting software for math, not the similar but irrelevant problem in
word processing program. The lack of equations in the Humanities/Social
Sciences made the traditional process working smooth and insured that the
typographical quality of publications in the fields was high, or at least
acceptable. Authors used primitive (typographically speaking) software,
publishers used real typesetters and everyone was happy.

Except...that desktop publishing happened and publishers started to cut
down on costs by using word as a typesetting program. Even worse, when they
started asking for pdf,  camera-ready  they would provide typographical
specs as series of Word instructions, since they do not know any better
(all the typesetters having long gone). The result is that the vast
majority of Humanities/Social Sciences journal and and increasing number of
Humanities *books*  are now typographically ugly and often barely readable

The same radical cost-cutting  measures took place  in the Natural
sciences/Engineering, of course. But since *they* were already using
Latex/TeX, the quality of their journal and books was only minimally
affected (although it was: it takes a truly capable typesetter to achieve
high results in Latex--relying on standard classes is only the starting
point. And most authors not named Knuth are not great typesetters).

That's why we in the Humanities are stuck with Word as a publishing
tool---because it used to work well as a drafting tool when the industry
worked differently, not because we do not use equations.

</rant>

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org