"John Kane" <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:1355320240.2678.yahoomail...@web162406.mail.bf1.yahoo.com...

From: Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de>
To: obregonma...@gmail.com
Cc: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 7:34:36 PM
Subject: Re: APA6 class with LyX?

Am 11.12.2012 01:14, schrieb obregonma...@gmail.com:

> Each APA-type journal has its own list of document types that it accepts;
> these journals are only guided by the APA _style_ conventions. All journals
> in psychology etc. that I have come across accept tex manuscripts, as long as
> the tex file contains everything the authors use (i.e., macros) and do not
> rely on any special latex compiling instructions.

Thanks for the clarification. So a layout for APA  6 is indeed useful.
However, I won't have time to write it and hope that anybody else can
volunteer. if you like, I can review the layout.

thanks and regards
Uwe

Hi Uwe,

That would be great. I am not sure that I have enough knowledge to help but I
certainly would consider it.

One of the reasons I first asked about this was not so much about direct
submission for publication though that is very important--the APA 5th Manual
says that over a 1000 non-APA journals use the Manual but because every
psychology student in North America and from what I see, in at least most of
the English-speaking psychological world uses it in preparing papers plus
French speaking students in Québec. There are suggestions here and there that
the style is used in several (many?) other languages .  This also seems to
extend to Education, Nursing  and a host of other social science disciplines
that I am not familiar with.

Essentially a paper for these students must conform pretty much exactly to the
equivalent of \documentclass[man,12pt]{apa6}.  I don't know know if there is a
hard-science or math equivalent: Perhaps all undergraduate math student
assignments need to match AMA formatting guidelines?

At a rough guess, students in my city with a community college, one small and
one medium sized unviersty probably submit 5,000 APA formatted papers each
year. Also, as others have mentioned, with a bit of minor tweaking APA sets the
style for theses or disertations in a broad range of disciplines.  Come to
think of it, other disciplinces with less stringent stylistic demands may well
be very happy with \documentclass[doc,12pt]{apa6}.

So my thought was let's catch them while they are young. From my own experience
and talking to some current students using APA can be a real hassle and a
decent apa6 option in LyX would likely be a real crowd pleaser, especially once
they learned about bibtex.

Universities here in Nicaragua, use APA style for thesis.

Denis J Navas