On 2013-03-05, ehud.kap...@gmail.com wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 8bit --]

> I suspect that the Palatino that appears in the font list is NOT the
> same as Palatino Linotype, especially in terms of spacing-- it takes
> less space than Georgia, which uses less space than Helvetica or Arial.

AFAIK, the Palatino font option in the LyX font list (without
"use non-TeX fonts") corresponds to

\usepackage{mathptmx}

from the PSNFSS LaTeX standard package. This should work in all
non-corrupt LaTeX installations. It is an extended version of URW Palla*
with real small-caps and some basic math support.

> When I try to use the URW Palladino that appears in the list, I get the
> error message: Font-not-found, even though I have TeX gyre and other
> packages installed that say they use URW Palladino.

TeX gyre Paladio is based on URW Pal* but incorporates this in its own font
file(s). I.e. installing this does not make URWs palladingsbums available
under this name.

OTOH, the font selection dialogue should not let you select a font that is
not installed on your system. Could you please try with a simple document
containing just ASCII? Maybe some non-ASCII letters are not supported
without LyX knowing.

Günter