On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM, UD <ehud.kap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Liviu-- this was very helpful. However:
>
> It still leaves open the question of why I cannot compile a document (with
> neither Xetex nor Luatex) with a font that is available from the (non-TeX)
> Lyx's list of fonts.

Others on the list are more knowledgeable than me on this.

> I guess that since the standard Palatino is really URWPalladio, then that
> entry in the non-TeX list should be removed

The TeX and non-TeX fonts are very different beasts. And *both* types
of URWPalladio are available on your system. For some reason the
non-TeX version of URWPalladio doesn't work for you.

> and Palatino should be renamed
> as URWPalladio.

I think that best would be to rename it to 'URW Palladio (Palatino)',
similar to the 'URW Classico (Optima)' that was recently added in 2.1.

Regards,
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?