On 03/09/2013 11:54 PM, Jane Shevtsov wrote:
I'm trying to format an article for submission to PLoS One. I'm using
their BiBTeX style sheet (http://www.plosone.org/static/plos2009.bst)
and the bibliography works fine but I get "(author?)" errors in the text
when trying to cite an article as Author [ID]. Apparently, this is
because their style file isn't a Natbib style, but changing the
bibliography style to default or Jurabib doesn't work. Is there anything
I can do short of typing authors' names by hand?

Ask them to provide a natbib-compatible style, or create one yourself. As it is, their style is meant to be used with the "default" bibliography mode. You can use it with natbib, but you won't be able to use natbib's features.

Also, PLoS provides a template for LaTeX users.
(http://www.plosone.org/static/plos_template.tex) What do I do with that
thing? I tried just importing the template into LyX and copying my text
into it, but it's not at all clear what to do with the figure legends
and tables. Do I edit the ERT directly?

These probably shouldn't come out as ERT. The reason is probably because there is no .layout file for this LaTeX class. Creating a layout file is explained in the Customization manual and might be as simple as copying the standard article.layout. With a layout in place, the import from LaTeX should do a better job.

Thanks,
Jane

Cheers,
Julien