On 05/09/2013 5:08 AM, Csikos Bela wrote:
Jane Shevtsov <jane....@gmail.com> írta:

Hello:

I&#39;m trying to format an article for submission to PLoS One.
I&#39;m using their BiBTeX style sheet (http://www.plosone.org/static/
plos2009.bst) and the bibliography works fine but I get &quot;
(author?)&quot; errors in the text when trying to cite an article as
Author [ID]. Apparently, this is because their style file isn&#39;t a
Natbib style,

No, this is not correct. That style is a natbib style. It was made by
custom bib which supports natbib. The beginning  of the bst file indicates
this:

"%%

%% This is file `PLoS.bst',

%% generated with the docstrip utility.

%%

%% The original source files were:

%%

%% merlin.mbs  (with options: ..."

Hmm? The fact that it is generated by a tool that /can/ produce fully compatible natbib styles does not make this style a natbib style. It is a plain LaTeX style, with no additional packages required, just like plain.bst or unsrt.bst, so let's not call it something else. Natbib /will/ be able to use it to produce purely numerical citations, but the same is true for the standard plain.bst or unsrt.bst, and one wouldn't call those "natbib" styles.

Regards,
Julien