On 10/24/13 9:03 AM, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com
<mailto:snowsh...@q.com>> wrote:

    Hi, Jürgen,

    Interspersed reply...

    On 10/24/13 1:01 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

        2013/10/24 Ken Springe

                 Not professional ? Right, don't use it then.

             Not sure how you feel, so no reply.

        He's serious, and so am I: if you want "professional" software
        and think
        LyX is not professional (or if it does not fit your needs for other
        reasons), don't use it. Sine ira et studio. That's a perfectly sane
        decision.

    I'm afraid both you and Vincent misunderstood Rich's original post,
    and mine, and possibly missed Rich's reply

<http://news.gmane.org:119/CAKh=ax83kk2gzk7urwhnluo2nbaixxv6jvdvyvswtejyf3f...@mail.gmail.com>
    and my reply news://news.gmane.org:119/__l49pp7$t0u$1...@ger.gmane.org
    <http://news.gmane.org:119/l49pp7$t0u$1...@ger.gmane.org> where we
    think we made it clear our comments do not apply to LyX, but the
    community as a whole.

    Regarding my reply to Vincent's, "Not professional ? Right, don't
    use it then.", it's simply an issue with text only based
    communication, where there are multiple ways of interpreting what
    has been written. Regardless of the native language of the writer.

    I could have read his reply as being light hearted, friendly, as
    "Well, OK, don't use it."  Or I could have read it as "OK, A$$hole,
    go f**k off!"  Or, the feeling behind the words could be something
    in between. With such a short reply, and no indicators such as
    smilies to let me know the emotion behind the comment, I don't know
    how Vincent feels with his reply.

It was this part that made me a bit angry indeed:

I've learned over the years, if I read something that "sets me off", it's best not to reply right away. The odds are very good I've misunderstood it. <G>

 >>You do understand that a lot of open-source software, including LyX, is
 >>developed by *volunteers*, do you?
 >
 > I do, but that's no excuse for being nonprofessional in what you are
trying to do

We do our best, but it's just not possible to be professional when there
is only a handful contibutors who need to find some spare time to
maintain a project like LyX.

I would contend the opposite. Maybe you would get less done, but doing less and doing it "right the first time" is usually a better road to travel. In the long run, I've had fewer problems with that approach.

 > Just to be clear, Rich and I have indicated our general comments were
not LyX specific.
A lof of the "general" comments also do apply to LyX, so it feels a bit
as being critized, even though you say they are not LyX specific.

I can only speak for myself... Since I've to even get further than step 1 of the tutorial, I don't know enough about LyX to be able to say anything specific. Except I have trouble typing an uppercase X in LyX! LOL

Last remark: Welcome to LyX as a new user ;

Thanks, Vincent. I'll likely just be a lurker for quite awhile. Most, if not all, of the subjects currently being discussed are over my head, I usually don't have a clue what people are talking about. But after I get Scrivener under some control, I'll catch up.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0