On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:53:35 -0600
Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com> wrote:

> I'm not a programmer, learned many years ago that is not for me.  But
> I did contribute, for free, to writing the help files of a commercial
> program for a platform now long gone.
>
> But, as I wrote in
> news://news.gmane.org:119/l4bi37$vh$1...@ger.gmane.org, if I help by
> reporting bugs I find in a program, assuming that reporting is
> requested by developers, shouldn't there be some thanks shown by
> fixing the bug?

Depends.

Imagine a buddy, who is a skateboarder, asking you for a critique of
his style while doing tricks. Both of the following could be considered
"reporting a bug":

1) I think you need to bend your knees more.

2) No wonder you're always losing contests, falling down, and just
   generally screwing up. Your knees are straight. How unprofessional.

#1 garners a "thank you." #2 garners "what a douchebag!"

Thanks,

SteveT