I do not understand your remark. I am, at this moment backing up my iPhone
(iOS7) on my MacBook (Mavericks) without any problem. In my case, I have
always unchecked the backup through iCloud and checked the backup "on this
computer". I also see that synchronization is available as a button and it
will probably become active when the backup will finish.