Even better news.  I got the PC-8231A drive to format a new disk.  Had to
buy a pack of 10 new DSDD floppies.   So now this thing is fully functional
and I feel even better about the auction which included now both a working
CRT adapter and a drive.  The drive fully supports the reserved DSKI$ /
DSKO$ keywords in BASIC as well, not that there would be any software out
there that uses that these days though...

So now I have to ask myself, is it worth using?  Probably not.  Hardware
this old that has moving parts will inevitably fail at some point and the
last thing I need is to be heavily invested in it.  :)   Well, maybe if I
could get a flavor of CP/M working with it...  *snicker*