Thanks, Brian; interesting to have it confirmed that they were indeed still in
use in the 90's.

No, I didn't quote the entire exchange with Evan; regarding the "urban legend"
I wasn't as closely involved as you, but I did say

"Perhaps not many in the 90s but they were certainly popular with journalists
in the 80s; a few years ago I chatted for a while with a British professional
full-time motorsport journalist who did indeed use an M100 for composing and
uploading, as did quite a few of his fellow journalists at the time."

And quoted Wikipedia:

"Tandy stated that the Model 100's sales "have only been moderate", and an
InfoWorld columnist later claimed that "it was only journalists" who had been
buying it. The system's popularity with journalists, however, probably helped
Radio Shack improve the company's poor reputation with the press and in the
industry."

Not much point in trying to convince Evan though... ;-)

As I said, I think the folks on this list are better qualified in this regard
than he is.