FWIW, I don't believe either that any professional journalist is still using an
M100; the core question in the discussion with Evan was really whether anyone
not a full-time professional journalist could be called a "writer".

It started with someone on the CClist looking for a device to write down ideas
& notes when away from his computer, something that "has anti-procrastinate
features (no internet, no videos, no mp3s, etc, long battery life (40+ hours),
easy replaceable batteries)..."

I suggested:
"> Radio Shack M100 ... still used by some writers for the very reason you
mention."

To which Evan replied > "That is not true."

I partially agreed:
Well, if you're defining 'writer' as "a professional full-time journalist"
whose main concerns are deadlines, word counts, editors' demands etc. and who
has to be connected to the Internet every second then you're probably correct
when it comes to usage today, although I wouldn't be surprised if some do use
an obsolete device for jotting down ideas and notes as the OP wants to do.

But I didn't say *professional* writers still use M100s. I said "some writers",
and I think the folks who self-publish stories on the Internet, enter writing
contests, contribute to the various on-line magazines etc. or just write for
pleasure and entertainment of friends and family are every bit as much
'writers' as your elite group of 'real writers', and some of them do indeed
prefer the M100 and its cousins to their modern laptops and desktops for its
unique features."

But as I quoted earlier, as far as he's concerned folks using their M100 to
write are "old cranks, one or two of which call themselves writers," which I
found somewhat offensive, even with a smiley on the end, and it became a pretty
pointless discussion; I ended it with

"The bottom line is that members of both groups use what they believe is most
effective for whatever they're doing and, whether you believe it or not, not
all writers then and now need or want the latest technology; I find your
suggestion that anyone who uses old technology like the M100 can not call
themselves a 'real writer' like you somewhat insulting and elitist."

But perhaps the discussion did serve to give some folks outside our community a
little insight about the uniqueness of M100 type computers and also their
modern capabilities with the various hard- and software additions and
expansions developed in recent years, many by folks on this very list.