I was playing with the Teensy 3.6 some more last night and got it waiting &
responding to commands by serial (the built-in ftdi usb-serial not via
max232 yet), reading/writing to files in a fat32 fs on the sd, blinking the
on-board led during drive activity, and displaying text on a tiny 128x64
0.96 inch oled display via i2c.

All while sitting at a counter at a diner.

Because it didn't need anything but a laptop, usb cable, and the chip stuck
on the end of the cable, and 4 jumper wires just for the oled display which
was just for play anyway, probably wouldn't actually want that on the
finished device.

These arduino libraries and built in examples make it all pretty easy to
get started.

And teensy has an rtc built-in too. Needs another battery, but a cr2032 can
apparantly keep the rtc going for about 17 years, so, not a problem.

This 32 bit 180mhz cpu is overkill, but it's just handy having the sd card
reader and usb port already built in. The cpu can be underclocked in
software but I don't know if it goes all the way down to 4!