The difference in coercivity between DD and HD 3.5" diskettes is actually
relatively small, ~660 vs. ~720 Oersteds, compared to the much larger 290 vs.
660 difference of 5.25" diskettes.

But the thickness of the coating is also different, HD being less than half
that of DD, and different materials are used with the HD having a finer
granularity.

Nevertheless, you can usually get away with using HD diskettes at DD (with the
hole covered if using an HD drive), although it's not quite as reliable as
using the proper media, especially regarding long-term data retention (probably
because the lower DD write current makes them more susceptible to being
erased); even the other way around often works, i.e. a DD diskette with a hole
punched at HD, although this is even less reliable.

Anecdotally it seems that 3.5" HD diskettes in general have become somewhat
unreliable, even used at HD, which may at least partially account for folks
having issues using them at DD.

But I think we're missing the more important issue; the reason for all these
differences is to squeeze more bits per inch on a track; unlike 5.25", 3.5"
diskettes all have 80 tracks and run at the same 300 RPM, so of course this
means that data  will normally be written and read at twice the rate in HD mode
(500Kbps) than at the DD rate (250Kbps).

I assume that the CoCo controller only transfers data at 250Kbps whereas with
the HD hole uncovered the drive will expect to see data at 500Kbps (and use HD
write current) and I suspect that's why Steve's having trouble.

3.5" DD diskettes are still around; why not use the right media in the first
place.