Different printing methods cost different amounts. The basic service at
shapeways is something called SLS , which is laser-sintered nylon powder.
It produces very good results in terms of both dimensional & shape accuracy
and the toughness of the part, but it's expensive.

The kind of printers people have at home are either FDM or SLA, and there
are tons of services that offer those.

SLA uses uv light to harden a uv sensitive resin. This produces
super-accurate output, but generally too brittle for a useful mechanical
part. Though there are a few special resins that are a bit stronger and
might work well enough for a battery cover. The problem with a battery
cover is it has tiny shapes that just break off, and on top of that, it has
shapes that you intentionally have to stress and flex in normal use,
without breaking.

FDM is the real common one where a nozzle squirts out melted plastic. This
is good for mechanical parts that aren't stressed too hard, but isn't super
accurate, is pretty weak for small parts. It's just barely good enough for
something like a battery cover if the printer operator is knows what they
are doing and gets good layer adhesion and no warping and uses a tougher
material like petg. The materials used for fdm are tougher than the uv
resin, so they can bend a little before breaking, but the layers and lines
is a weakness unless the printer (both the machine and the person) actually
knows what they're doing. The problem is a lot more people own a printer
than know how to get good results out of it.

If you take an STL fild and go to CraftCloud.com, you'll get presented with
something like 20 or more types of printing, most of them not good for a
battery cover, but at least FDM, SLS, SLA (maybe, with the best resin),
maybe MJF. (MJF turned out not to be accurate enough for the pcb2molex
carrier, but a battery cover ca tolerate a bit more variability than that
carrier). You upload the stl, select the printing method and material, and
finally it shows you some quotes from different print shops that can
produce the part.

But none of these are magic. What you get is only accurate within some
range of variation. SLA is very accurate, but probably not strong enough.
SLS will also be accurate enough and strong enough on the first try, but
costs more. For FDM, it's cheaper, but will probably need a few iterations
before you get a very good result. Generally for FDM, you burn through all
those trial & error by doing it yourself, not by paying some service.

There are a TON of small shops out there able print by FDM or SLA. Aside
from craftcloud, there is 3dhubs and several other similar marketplace type
sites or just google. But it's not cheaper when you wait 2 weeks for a part
that isn't good enough, and you end up trying 4 times to get a good one.