On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:16 PM B 9 <hacke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, that's a good point that I forget.  All capacitors are supposed
> to have a finite service lifetime, right?
>
> Manufacturers rate capacitors at the *maximum* temperature (105°C), and
> the lifetime doubles for every 10°C reduction in ambient temperature. I
> don't think Model T's run very hot — has anybody measured? — so maybe we
> can expect them to live quite a bit longer.

Yes. For Aluminum electrolytic caps made in the '80s, we are well past the
expected thermal aging effects; I suspect failures now are due more to
moisture than heat, although moisture + heat makes this worse.

> When I was in school, I was taught that *“Experience is directly
> proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.”*  I have not yet
> destroyed enough equipment by desoldering, so I'll probably hold off on
> recapping.

With proper instruction, destroying equipment is not a vital part of the
learning experience. But it's always good to learn from our failures.

> For desoldering, dwell time should be low and temp should be high, right?
> I've got a regulated iron, but the desoldering braid I got from Radio-Shack
> is so bad, it might as well have been labelled "this is a poor solder
> sucker, but if you pay money for it, you'll be one too!"

For "normal printed-circuit" work, there will always be a dwell time of
~1.2 to 2 seconds when desoldering. You absolutely want to give the solder
time to melt fully before applying suction. Also - use suction when
removing through-hole parts; braid is for cleaning pads, removing bridges,
etc. The issues come up when you're running too much heat (2 sec at 340C vs
2 sec at 500C is a big difference) or when you're not working on a "normal"
PC board (cheap phenolic [paper] boards - Atari XE are notorious for this).
Much worse if you're attempting rework on a flex cable or something.

> Do you know if the Tandy 200 had similar problems?

I've worked on only 2 Tandy 200s so far, but I would be inclined to treat
them similar to the model 100 -- replace the key power supply caps only.

-Josh