On Wed, 2020-08-19 at 16:27 -0500, John Gardner wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> If you're a sucker with "poor solder-sucker" RS desoldering braid,
>
> try putting a little flux on the braid before use...

I was going to say the same thing. I was using an old roll of Radio
Shack solder wick until just around a year ago.  I was sad to see it
finally run out.  Adding some flux, or even fresh rosin-core solder if
you don't have flux, will help a lot. I had access to a professional
solder sucker at an internship in the 80s but I've gotten by fine with
wick since then.