On 9/11/20 1:13 AM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
On 8/13/2020 7:36 AM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 8/12/20 10:46 PM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
On 8/12/2020 9:30 PM, Tom Wilson wrote:
Maybe we can build a new NADS using Arduino? A Teensy with built in SD socket is fairly inexpensive; we would just need a level converter and to port the program to Arduino platform.

Is the program open sourced somewhere?

Alternatively, is there some available C code for this functionality?

Jim

Jimmy Petit wrote an arduino implementation.
I added a little to that.

I have it running on a few different boards that have an sd card reader built in.

http://tandy.wiki/PDDuino
https://github.com/bkw777/PDDuino

Just the other day I found a cheaper & simpler ttl-rs232 module instead of the Schmart one in that video. With this one, it's already got a male plug, and is wired DTE, so you just use the same cable that you use to connect a M100 to a PC, and powered with a short usb cable and a BCR-USB adapter.

Links to all those items in the readme on github.

Does the project work on an Arduino UNO already?  I forked, cloned, and tried to build, but didn't have immediate success, so thought I'd just confirm before I started changing stuff in the code.

For uno, or any other board besides Teensy or Feather 32u4 or Feather M0, you'd need to edit some #define's at the top.

Set #define BOARD Custom, then a few lines down see the section
#if BOARD == Custom

and edit all the values in that section for your board and your wiring, like which pins you hooked up your sdcard reader to etc.

Now I'm not using a regular ttl-rs232 module like in the mail you quoted any more myself.
I'm using http://github.com/bkw777/MounT
The pcb takes the place of a serial cable and the whole things sticks right on the serial port. You just stick the teensy or feather right on it, and it provides the serial connection and the rs232 level shifter. There's a video in the readme. Now it doesn't even need sockets soldered on like in the video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K7sy2voknM2EhzcD9

Just today I started playing with a couple ESP boards (instead of AVR), one essentially ESP-12E, Heltec WiFi-Kit-8, and one ESP-32, Heltec WiFi-Kit-32. I just git Zimodem running on the 8266 board (wifi-kit-8), with debug messages printing to the on-board oled screen. Not fully working yet though. I can see output on the serial port but not type into it.

Allan Huffman has a writeup of using Zimodem on esp-8266 with a Coco, and I'm doing essentially the same thing.

https://subethasoftware.com/2018/02/28/wire-up-your-own-rs-232-wifi-modem-for-under-10-using-esp8266-and-zimodem-firmware/

https://subethasoftware.com/2019/05/02/cocowifi-fork-of-zimodem-updated-to-current/

It should be no problem to run the tpdd code on esp the same as on avr, and then the idea is to have both wifi modem and tpdd at the same time, and then, unlike WiModem, the source code is open.