Hello,
Yes, the description Stephen have below basically is what I did.  I don't know
useful it would be to describe what I bought, since (with Brexit) I try as hard
as possible to buy things from Swedish or European sellers, but I bought a
VGA-to hdmi adapter (this might be the one I bought but I thought I paid half)
https://www.24.se/ljud-bild-foto/kablar-kontakter/tvprojektor-kablar/videoadapter-hdmi-till-vga-ljud
The hdmi to tablet thing was fairly well documented in the article on Tom's
hardware.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/use-android-tablet-raspberry-pi-screen
I wanted to do this not only for the MVT100 solution but to use it with a pi,
but it also worked for the hdmi output from my sony laptop (an old vaio) and
even my Sony A7 camera.  I used an hdmi capture device that could be this one
(once again a Swedish site but you get the general idea)
https://www.24.se/datortillbehor/datortillbehor/ovriga-datortillbehor/video-capture-usb-3-0
The tablet I used is a Samsung SM-T380, and this I bought in the US for my
mother but she thought it was too slippery and wanted to keep her old one, so
it ended up travelling to Sweden.  This device needs to support host mode, so
there is a short cable from USB-C (on the tablet) to a USB-A socket (where the
hdmi capture device gets plugged in).  An hdmi cable connects the capture
device and the vga-to-hdmi converter, and the vga converted is plugged into the
MVT100.  You need some app on the android tablet, and the one in the Tom's
Hardware article worked OK.  There are others, some with a lot of ads.
As I mentioned, the 'hdmi output displayed on the tablet' was great for the
raspberry pi, and even for my Sony A7 camera.
As far as running a vt100 app directly in the tablet, that did cross my mind
but I didn't think such an app existed.  I have something in my android phone
that gives me a command line interface, and I have used it to ssh into other
machines, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to ssh to the serial adapter.
 After John's message, I looked, and sure enough, there is one that supposedly
can emulate a vt100 connected to a serial adapter (and they listed all the
usual ones).  Now I have to try this out as well.  I'll  probably get some
strange looks again....
Jonathan