I said the modem is the telnet client.

Telnet is a tcp/ip protocol and there is no such thing as tcp/ip on a 100.
No networking hardware and not enough cpu or ram to do anything useful if
there were such a thing as a network card.

The modem has it's own cpu and ram and tcp/ip stack software, and the
computer just talks plain serial tty to it, just like ordinary phone modems.

If you mean is there a better terminal emulator, there might be. For
starters at least there is a whole directory devoted to telcom apps in the
M100SIG archive, including some apps that seem to be vt52 and vt100
emulators, and some archived discussion threads about them. I haven't gone
through it all to see what's what.
https://archive.org/details/M100SIG
There seems to be at least one vt100 emulator app on club100
http://club100.org/library/libtel.html

A terminal or terminal emulator is a separate thing from a telnet or ssh
client. They are often bundled together in typical windows or mac apps, but
really the telnet part is a separate job from the terminal emulator part.

So in this case, the modem does the physical network connection (the wifi)
and the tcp/ip and telnet protocol, and provides a plain tty interface on a
serial port. And the computer only needs a terminal app to read text from
the serial port and display on the screen, and read text from the keyboard
and send to the serial port. There is no ethernet or tcp/ip or telnet
knowledge or code in the computer, that's all in the modem. The computer
only needs a serial comm program just like with any other modem.

The built-in telcom app is very basic and does not emulate ansi or vt100,
so you could do with a better terminal app if there is one. Especially if
there is one that can work with the Disk/Video Interface to use a full
80x25 screen.

But the built-in telcom app does the basic job.