What John said was your definitive answer.

You simply can't actually go any faster than 600 *reliably*, in TELCOM with the screen active. It doesn't matter that telcom/basic allow setting higher speeds.

Even with xon/xoff, when the 100 says "stop sending!", by the time the xoff byte transmits in-band over to the host and the host interprets and reacts to it, the receive buffer in the 100 has already overflowed by then. Even at 1200.

It can go a little faster by using software that isn't using the screen, or HTERM, which is a unique machine language app that uses hardware flow control.

The simple/general rule is, you can use 1200 for something like a BBS and just live with some occasional display corruption by refreshing, or stick to 600 or less when doing a file transfer where every byte has to be perfect.