Hi Jeff,

Thank you for typing exactly what I felt.

I love our small Model 100 community - It was literally my first computer
that I brought with my own money.  Actually, I think that I will share my
story as long as nobody minds.

It was probably sometime around 1983.  I spent much of my life, like other
teenagers at the time, at my local computer shop.   There was kind of a
community there, and I loved playing with the hardware.  They sold Toshiba
machines that were IBM clones, as well as MSX gaming systems.  I was 17
years old and studying Mechanical Engineering at school.  I also used to
hang out at the local Tandy shop, but they were never as accommodating as
the Toshiba shop.

I was pretty good at interfacing their computers to various printers and
modems.  I understood RS232 - or at least knew that the data was on  pins 2
and 3, and if you tied 4,5 and 6, as well as 8 and 20, any computer will
spit out data and people were amazed when their little printers just
worked.  One day, a scientist from the Australian National University came
in asking if they could help with interfacing their Toshiba T300 to a
Microplate reader.   I put my hand up and met Dr Ken Reid a couple of days
later at his laboratory in the Department of Biochemistry.

The Microplate Reader was an interesting device - it used a series of
stepper motors that moved a sample plate containing 96 individual cells
across the X and Y axis shining a light through the samples one at a time
and returning a value for the amount of light returned.  It didn't take
long to make the required custom cable and we were moving the plate to
whatever co-ordinates we needed as well as reading the transmission levels
using a simple BASIC program.  Dr Reid was quite startled with my ability
to write programs and work with the computer, so he asked if I could help
with writing the software that could analyse the plates.  I spoke to my
parents and Dad negotiated with Dr Reid to pay me Technical Officers' pay
rate  for the 2 weeks it would take to write.

We had a T300 at home, so I could write software day and night, and at the
end of the project, I came up with a basic program that could read a plate,
create a series of graph of the results (T300 basic had beautiful graphics
routines), and output raw numbers to a text file so they could be read into
Excel.   In all, the project was a tremendous success.  At the end of it, I
was paid $600 for the work.

As soon as I had the cheque from the ANU, mum and I went to the Tandy shop,
and it took some convincing for the shopkeeper to believe that I actually
wanted to buy the Model 100 there - I left with my own M100, with my OWN
money.  And that was the tool for so much more interfacing work that I did
for the next 10 years.

Only a year or so later did I get a job at the ANU, at the Research School
of Physical Sciences, as a Trainee Technical Officer.  I transferred from
mechanical engineering to electronics engineering and the rest is literally
history.

All because I had a knack for getting things to talk to each other.

I still have that M100 - it is fully kitted out with 32K ram, and has the
onboard direct connect modem modified for Australian CCITT tones :-)

That's another story, involving a misspent youth with left telephones and
BBS machines, and computers I should not have been playing with - But you
have to ground a career in Information Security somehow :-)

Kindest regards,

Doug Jackson

em: d...@doughq.com
ph: 0414 986878

Check out my awesome clocks at www.dougswordclocks.com
Follow my amateur radio adventures at vk1zdj.net

Just like an old fashioned letter, this email and any files transmitted
with it should probably be treated as confidential and intended solely for
your own use.

Please note that any interesting spelling is usually my own and may have
been caused by fat thumbs on a tiny tiny keyboard.

Should any part of this message prove to be useful in the event of the
imminent Zombie Apocalypse then the sender bears no personal, legal, or
moral responsibility for any outcome resulting from its usage unless the
result of said usage is the unlikely defeat of the Zombie Hordes in which
case the sender takes full credit without any theoretical or actual legal
liability. :-)

Be nice to your parents.

Go outside and do something awesome - Draw, paint, walk, setup a
radio station, go fishing or sailing - just do something that makes you
happy.

^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G- In more laid back days this line would literally
sing ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G