On 7/12/2021 4:34 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 7/12/21 7:23 AM, Brian Brindle wrote:
I agree on the risk with the USB ports, you wouldn't typically design something like this. But I appreciate the out of the box thinking that got me past that. The current limiting etc can easily be done in the end device, and that's what I choose to do. In reality, only one person is likely ever going to use this thing and we are already plugging USB ports into DB9s so.. Brian did at least consider the M100 user group and instructed everyone to use plastic DB9s so I think that is sufficient.

Jim - congrats on the new gig. Hope you find some time to play soon. I used both your code and Brian W's to get my PDDuino going. Found the re-org of the code very helpful in figuring things out and appreciated all the documentation. I was chasing a few bugs that it looks like you guys both sorted out, or moved, in the latest master branch.

master actually? or latest default branch which is not master but 0.4.1?

Maybe it's my master he's describing

I didn't have master marked as default currently because I thought I had made it worse, you know like the partly-broken point mid-way in a refactor, so I made the last-known at least basically-minimally-working version default.

But if you're actually using the master branch that's great and I'll switch that to default. That is where I started porting Jim's main loop.

I didn't simply merge Jim's whole version because I don't know if I agree with all of it (mostly just in some details not in the essence), and I'd rather merge in a bunch of smaller more incremental changes that each express a specific job or idea, even if it means I have to do it manually, even if it means in the end I do end up in the same state as if I just merged the whole thing. If nothing else it makes me understand everything better.

Since the code in master is stable, I think I can go back and try to split up.  I think I tried once, and some of the mods are simple:

Add in UNO defines:https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/b1bea588ee80824be37d42a3b26005cd657ff035

Skip hidden files (I think you are I might disagree on this, but it could be made a compile time compile option):https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/7a2d746b11e340e221ee85f62414fd5f86cca851

Text alignment cleanup:https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/ab35a7d98772697b1a6150c644e296dd03d6728a

Switch magic numbers with an enum for the commands:https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/b009a60a9b1f73784905a287b4c35b0466eb53fa

Switch reference returns to generic function: https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/11e2fa3742f446692d20bcb931a3f52f24bf4a3a

Magic number removals: (I think this is a smaller patch, but it looks like git just replaced the whole file.): https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/11e2fa3742f446692d20bcb931a3f52f24bf4a3a

But, then the ring buffer removal was just a huge patch, and I don't know there is a way to split it up into little pieces:

https://github.com/go4retro/PDDuino/commit/3737026de5302702af9fda69d39303d92ed0b760

Jim