I've played with BT adapters and didn't really have any problems except for
the handshaking issues discussed in another thread.

As you note, there are basically two versions (aside from master/slave etc.
issues): True RS232 that have a DE9 connector and plug riight into the M100
with a 25<>9 pin adapter, and modules like the HC-05/06 that are 5V TTL
serial and either need a level shifter or directly connect to the 5V TTL
signals inside the M100 (there is at least one article on the Web somewhere
detailing that).

It's been long on my to-do list to replace the internal modem with internal
Bluetooth and USB modules, using the modem switches to select one or the
other and turn them on and off. Maybe you've inspired me ;-)

I had timeout problems with the original TS-DOS in ROM but I gather that
that's been fixed in later versions.

Have FUN!