Oh I misunderstood that. I thought the tnc had that configurable with a jumper installed by default.

On 9/27/23 19:37, Jesse Bertier wrote:
I agree that the m100 has unique circuitry contributing to the problem -
perhaps only 5 volts to work with , perhaps the choice in the resistor values
chosen on the inputs and outputs, or perhaps when they changed to 330 ohm
values in that TSB.

Agreed it’s perfectly legit to loop back in this fashion.  What’s odd is other
older TNCs didn’t do this, at least not by default.  What I didn’t try yet is
seeing if tickling the DTR output on the m100 changes anything (switching it
from high to low or vice versa).  That built in telcom program initializes the
uart and resets the hardware flow control lines, so I would need to write
something in basic to do the test.

Unfortunately that tnc has traces needing to be cut on the pcb to disable this
loop back.  They didn’t put jumpers on the loop back options.  Sacrificing one
of those gender changers was the lazy way to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone