Yep, it's consistent. It took me a while to make some progress on this. I tried redoing the Centronics side of the cable, and here's my source vs what the pi sees:

10 PRINT "Hello, world!"
20 GOTO 10

10 PRMN\ "Lmllo, orll!"
20 OO\O 10

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot...

I found this in the retroprinter handbook:

Missing Characters or Repeated Characters:
This is generally because the equipment sending the printout is using
a specific timing mechanism and not necessarily adopting the correct
Centronics signal methods for acknowledgement of data.
We have added the following configuration options to help address
this:
/root/config/handshaking
This allows you to specify how the handshaking is handled between
the computer and the Retro-Printer. This can help overcome issues
with lost characters or repeated characters when the equipment
misses the busy / acknowledge signals.
The parameter takes a value between 0 and 4.
0 = Busy On (for 5ms), Busy Off, Ack On (for signal time), Ack Off
1 = Ack On (for signal time), Busy On, Ack Off, Busy Off
2 = Busy On (for 5ms), Ack On (for signal time), Busy Off, Ack Off
3 = Ack On (for signal time), Ack Off, Busy On (for 5ms), Busy Off
4 = Busy On and Ack On (for signal time), Ack Off and Busy Off
Default is 0

Any idea how the M100 handshakes?

Will