Also this

As shipped, the default setting for the Retro-Printer is to expect 8 bit
data - however, some equipment only sends 7 bit data (and the 8th bit can
be quite temperamental).
Changing the bit_depth parameter for the Retro-Printer Module will address
this

On Sun, Mar 17, 2024, 8:48 PM Gregory McGill <arcadeshop...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Adapter was made because there was a board error on the original board. So
> this adapter fixes whatever was wrong. I'll see if I can get the details
> for you.. If it turns out to be the adapter I could probably get it
> replaced for you if need be or repaired.
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2024, 6:47 PM Will Senn <will.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Looks like it was a problem with the adapter. My theory that bits 2 and 3
>> were shorted (oh, that's right, not my theory, but Steve's) was confirmed
>> with a few more character test. So, I posted in the retro printer board,
>> sent several 'contact us' posts to the retro folks (their site sucks), and
>> then...
>>
>> Full disclaimer, I am NOT a hardware guy!! But, I madly took that adapter
>> apart and then after doing both sides, saw where some solder was bleeding
>> over from one pin to another on the female side... and a bit of exacto
>> knife  wizardry later and a bit of worry that I'd destroy it, and voila:
>>
>> 10 RMM ABCLMNOLMNOLMNOPQRS\]^_\]^
>> 20 RMM abclmnolmnolmnopqrs|}~|}~
>> 30 RMM 0123<=>?<=0 -_=/_]?>/",<.>
>> <0 RMM /?!@#,-^..,-
>>
>> 10 REM ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
>> 20 REM abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
>> 30 REM 01234567890 -_=+[];:'",<.>
>> 40 REM /?!@#$%^&*()
>>

>> Yay!
>>
>> Now, I can go about setting this goofy retroprinter up properly.
>>
>> Thanks for the forbearance, assistance and sympathy.
>>
>> Will
>>

>> On 3/17/24 5:46 PM, Stephen Adolph wrote:
>>
>> Bit 2 shorted to bit 3?
>>
>> On Sunday, March 17, 2024, Will Senn <will.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried every config setting... twice or more :).
>>>
>>> It's super consistent in that bits 2, and 3, counting from zero, from
>>> the least significant bits, are having some kind of issue (they aren't
>>> always, zero, or one, but they are always the bits that are wrong and they
>>> are consistently wrong (of the 40 chars or so I tested):
>>>
>>> <0x7f> vs w
>>> 01111111
>>> 01110111
>>> 00001000 (b3 1->0)
>>>
>>> \ vs T
>>> 01011100
>>> 01010100
>>> 00001000 (b3 1->0)
>>>
>>> 4 vs <
>>> 00110100
>>> 00111100
>>> 00001000 (b3 0->1)
>>>
>>> 5 vs =
>>> 00110101
>>> 00111101
>>> 00001000 (b3 0->1)
>>> 6 vs >
>>> 00110110
>>> 00111110
>>> 00001000 (b3 0->1)
>>>
>>> 7 vs ?
>>> 00110111
>>> 00111111
>>> 00001000 (b3 0->1)
>>>
>>> 8 vs <
>>> 00111000
>>> 00111100
>>> 00000100 (b3 0->1)
>>>
>>> 9 vs =
>>> 00111001 (b3 0->1)
>>> 00111101
>>> 00000100
>>>
>>> Weird, huh? Anybody seen anything like it? Can I troubleshoot it with a
>>> multimeter?
>>>
>>> Will
>>>

>>> On 3/17/24 2:13 PM, Will Senn wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep, it's consistent. It took me a while to make some progress on this.
>>> I tried redoing the Centronics side of the cable, and here's my source vs
>>> what the pi sees:
>>>
>>> 10 PRINT "Hello, world!"
>>> 20 GOTO 10
>>>
>>> 10 PRMN\ "Lmllo, orll!"
>>> 20 OO\O 10
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot...
>>>
>>> I found this in the retroprinter handbook:
>>>
>>> Missing Characters or Repeated Characters:
>>> This is generally because the equipment sending the printout is using
>>> a specific timing mechanism and not necessarily adopting the correct
>>> Centronics signal methods for acknowledgement of data.
>>> We have added the following configuration options to help address
>>> this:
>>> /root/config/handshaking
>>> This allows you to specify how the handshaking is handled between
>>> the computer and the Retro-Printer. This can help overcome issues
>>> with lost characters or repeated characters when the equipment
>>> misses the busy / acknowledge signals.
>>> The parameter takes a value between 0 and 4.
>>> 0 = Busy On (for 5ms), Busy Off, Ack On (for signal time), Ack Off
>>> 1 = Ack On (for signal time), Busy On, Ack Off, Busy Off
>>> 2 = Busy On (for 5ms), Ack On (for signal time), Busy Off, Ack Off
>>> 3 = Ack On (for signal time), Ack Off, Busy On (for 5ms), Busy Off