Hi Mike,

I agree with Geoff's comments and recommendations but there is one importatn
correction: MotionX GPS Drive is only available in the US  There is another app
that they make, called MotionX GPS, that is available internationally and that
is often confused with the first product, but that does not have the features
that give turn-by-turn directions that Geoff is speaking of.  So if you want a
GPS app that can be used in both the US and in Europe, you'll have to choose
Navigon.  Also, you have to purchase separate apps for Navigon US (or North
America, or a region of the US) and for Navigon Europe (or a specific country).
 The usage format is similar, but the map data is different.  The Navigon apps
typically take about 1.5 GB each to download.  You need twice the space to
unpack and update the app.

I also agree that you'll want to get the free AroundMe app and/or Where To? -- Discover your next destination
($2.99 from FutureTap). These have a much better interface for searching for points of interest, which can
then be sent to the default Maps app, or Navigon, MotionX GPS Drive, TomTom, etc. They'll list matches to
your search terms in order of distance from your current location or, you can set this to be a location from
your contacts or that you type in, if you're planning travel.  These are great apps to have, even if you
don't have an iPhone or use GPS apps, and I used both on the iPod Touch before I ever got an iPhone.  The
really useful function that was added to the Where To app last July is the ability to use the built-in
compass on an iPhone or iPad with 3G, and update information on direction and distance as you travel.  So,
for example, if you search for a restaurant, and then check the detailed screen for your POI, near the top
right corner of the screen, you'll hear something like, "Direction and distance, right, 240 yards",
and this will update as you travel in both terms -- so you could hear "slight right" or
"straight ahead", and the distance decrease as you approach your POI.  This can be set to use
metric distances in the settings.

I should probably mention that I've heard that some iPhone users in
Scandinavian countries find the POI database in AroundMe out of date, compared
to the one in Navigon. That's the only set of locations I know of where users
don't really like these POI helper apps. Both AroundMe and Where To work
internationally, and also support other language localizations.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther