From: mac-access-boun...@mac-access.net
[mailto:mac-access-boun...@mac-access.net] On Behalf Of Dónal Fitzpatrick
Sent: Wednesday, 25 July 2012 6:51 AM
To: Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility
Subject: Re: changing tab group in java preferences using Voiceover

Couldn't agree with you more Esther.  As someone who's in the field of
higher ed (from the other side I'll grant you) I recognise fully the
importance.  Mind you, why any institution would inflict blackboard on its
staff/student cohort is beyond me. It was, is now and forever shall be…. …
hideous!
On 24 Jul 2012, at 18:44, Esther <mori...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Dónal,
>
> You have my permission to use any of my text, and you can also link to the
discussions here using the Mail Archive site.  This post doesn't cover the
other issue about not being able to interact with and check/uncheck items in
the tables on the Java Preferences tabs. As Paula also reported, VoiceOver
announces "empty table".  I really want to emphasize that university and
college students who are using Blackboard are likely to have to use the Java
Preferences utility when certificates expire or need to be fixed, so if
Apple wants to continue maintaining its presence in the field of higher
education, and also support accessibility there, this has to be fixed.  It's
another one of those items that was reported to them previously, but is
becoming more of an issue.

> Thanks,
>
> Esther
>
> On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:21 AM, Dónal Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>> Gordon/ Esther:
>>
>> I'm in the process of filing a bug, however I'd like permission to use
some of Esther's superb text.  I won't comment here on anything relating to
mountain lion; just to say that "all that glisters is not gold".

>> Dónal
>> On 24 Jul 2012, at 18:13, Gordon Smith <gor...@mac-access.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Esther
>>>
>>> Yes, so I've now come to understand.  Thanks for putting us right.
>>>
>>> Gordon
>>>
>>> On 23 Jul 2012, at 20:40, Esther <mori...@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a genuine accessibility issue with Java Preferences.  VoiceOver
doesn't see tabs other than the one that is currently selected, so they
don't show up in item chooser menu, and you can't use it, or any of the
other normal ways to navigate to them and select them.  I've posted a
complete solution for Paula on how to use Mouse Keys to navigate to any of
the tabs and select them, because you can move vertically down from the
"Java Preferences" heading in the title bar with Mouse Keys and VoiceOver
will tell you when you have moved over the "Network" tab if you've set the
verbosity to speak items under the mouse cursor by checking that box in the
announcements tab under VoiceOver Utility. Then you can start moving
horizontally with Mouse Keys either to the left or right to navigate to the
other tabs.  It's just that it takes a lot of key presses to move this way
-- I think about 32 presses of the "k" key to move down to the edge of the
tabs, and about 75 key presses to mov
>>> e across any tab horizontally.  It was only about 10 presses of the "u"
key to move left to the "Security" tab if you moved down from the heading,
but it would take another 75 or so to move to the edge of the "General" tab
in order to click it, which you can do by pressing the "i" key.  This will
work every time and go directly to the control you want, but typing out the
explanation of how to set up Mouse Keys and mapping out the number of key
presses takes longer than just moving your cursor with your finger on the
Trackpad, guided by the edge, if you only need to get to one of the tabs.

>>> Incidentally, the VoiceOver reporting behavior when I navigate onto the
tab group with Mouse Keys also tells me there's an accessibility issue with
the setup.  I shouldn't hear the tab reported until I'm directly over it,
but somehow, as I move down towards the tab area, VoiceOver starts reporting
the currently selected tab group, and only identifies the individual tab
names, with "radio button" appended, once I am directly over those tabs.
It's as though the currently selected tab blots out the tab grouping
selection, which is indeed how it appears from the item chooser menu
behavior -- only the currently selected tab, whichever one it is, is visible
to VoiceOver.

>>> If any list members are working as developers with the Mountain Lion
gold master, please check the behavior of Java Preferences!

> You can find an archive of all messages posted    to the Mac-Access forum
at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

> The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
and worm-free!

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie

The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
and worm-free!

Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting