Hi Gordon,

This is a genuine accessibility issue with Java Preferences.  VoiceOver doesn't
see tabs other than the one that is currently selected, so they don't show up
in item chooser menu, and you can't use it, or any of the other normal ways to
navigate to them and select them.  I've posted a complete solution for Paula on
how to use Mouse Keys to navigate to any of the tabs and select them, because
you can move vertically down from the "Java Preferences" heading in the title
bar with Mouse Keys and VoiceOver will tell you when you have moved over the
"Network" tab if you've set the verbosity to speak items under the mouse cursor
by checking that box in the announcements tab under VoiceOver Utility. Then you
can start moving horizontally with Mouse Keys either to the left or right to
navigate to the other tabs.  It's just that it takes a lot of key presses to
move this way -- I think about 32 presses of the "k" key to move down to the
edge of the tabs, and about 75 key presses to mov
 e across any tab horizontally.  It was only about 10 presses of the "u" key to
move left to the "Security" tab if you moved down from the heading, but it
would take another 75 or so to move to the edge of the "General" tab in order
to click it, which you can do by pressing the "i" key.  This will work every
time and go directly to the control you want, but typing out the explanation of
how to set up Mouse Keys and mapping out the number of key presses takes longer
than just moving your cursor with your finger on the Trackpad, guided by the
edge, if you only need to get to one of the tabs.

Incidentally, the VoiceOver reporting behavior when I navigate onto the tab
group with Mouse Keys also tells me there's an accessibility issue with the
setup.  I shouldn't hear the tab reported until I'm directly over it, but
somehow, as I move down towards the tab area, VoiceOver starts reporting the
currently selected tab group, and only identifies the individual tab names,
with "radio button" appended, once I am directly over those tabs. It's as
though the currently selected tab blots out the tab grouping selection, which
is indeed how it appears from the item chooser menu behavior -- only the
currently selected tab, whichever one it is, is visible to VoiceOver.

If any list members are working as developers with the Mountain Lion gold
master, please check the behavior of Java Preferences!

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther