Hello Dónal et al,
On 9 Nov 2012, at 12:46, Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie> wrote:
  It seems to apply weird hyphenation patterns and cause stilted or interrupted
speech.

I may be wrong here, so please feel free to correct me, but I think  that this
problem  stems in part, from the use of ligatures. If I remember, these  are
italicised finishings to certain letters, also called Serifs. When i spoke to
an Apple Accessibility team member about this, they  explained what they were,
and that certain types of font employ them  for stylistic reasons. I.e. They
look nice, but they make VoiceOver ignore the space between letters and words
that use them.

Dónal, if you'd like to write me off-list, I might be able to help you avoid
them in your LaTeX-created PDFs. For everyone else, if you're creating PDFs
yourselves, either from Pages or another word processor, try using fonts
without Serifs, such as Arial or Times. There are others,  and you can find
them if you do a Google search for something like "sans serif fonts os x"

Hope this helps

Take care
James

Skype: saulky1984 - If you'd like to chat, please say who you are when
requesting to chat. Thank you.