Hi James,

Super response.  You're absolutely correct in that sometimes (and LaTeX) is a
classic example) odd glyphs are used.  For example, "fi" in PDF produced by
LaTeX can cause problems.

Definitely interested in how it can be avoided, and you're more than welcome to
respond offlist, however it might not be a bad one to post hear.  Perhaps frame
it in the context of Mac TeX in order to remain on topic?

D:)
On 9 Nov 2012, at 13:40, JAMES AUSTIN <james.aus...@mac-access.net> wrote:

> Hello Dónal et al,
> On 9 Nov 2012, at 12:46, Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie> wrote:
>  It seems to apply weird hyphenation patterns and cause stilted or
> interrupted speech.
>
> I may be wrong here, so please feel free to correct me, but I think  that
> this problem  stems in part, from the use of ligatures. If I remember, these
> are italicised finishings to certain letters, also called Serifs. When i
> spoke to an Apple Accessibility team member about this, they  explained what
> they were, and that certain types of font employ them  for stylistic reasons.
> I.e. They look nice, but they make VoiceOver ignore the space between letters
> and words that use them.
>
> Dónal, if you'd like to write me off-list, I might be able to help you avoid
> them in your LaTeX-created PDFs. For everyone else, if you're creating PDFs
> yourselves, either from Pages or another word processor, try using fonts
> without Serifs, such as Arial or Times. There are others,  and you can find
> them if you do a Google search for something like "sans serif fonts os x"
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Take care
> James
>
> Skype: saulky1984 - If you'd like to chat, please say who you are when
> requesting to chat. Thank you.

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie