there is no reset button to defaults is there.
with the iphone if all goes pear shaped you can press the home and top button to get it back. what I will do is switch on and leave it for an hour on it's power adapter see what happens.
thanks for all your help though.
At 18:34 07/07/2013, you wrote:
John - I'm a bit puzzled when you say the disc whirls; the MacBook air [yours as I understand it is the same as mine] has an SSD drive, so I don't think you'd hear any disc activity. I can't, but then again, my hearing isn't great! I think perhaps, if you've downloaded updates, as has been suggested, you may need to wait a fair while for installations to complete. If you press the function key and f12, do you hear a click [this is the volume up key combination, or it is at least, if your machine hasn't been set up to perform differently with the function key; if you don't hear a click, I think this means boot up hasn't completed. The only other thing I can think of, is to be sure that the magnetic plug on the charging cable is properly connected to your Mac, just in case the battery is fully run down -

Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gallagher" <j...@pianotuner.plus.com>
To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: no joy with my new mac

Hi there it's brand new from laptops direct in Huddersfield.
apparently when I switch on it shows the apple logo the music sound plays the disk whirls and you wait and wait nothing at all.
should I have created a mac os 10 cd?At 16:48 07/07/2013, you wrote:
That, however, becomes an issue, because on the more modern laptops, such as the MacBook Pro, the batteries are not user replaceable, and must be serviced by either an Apple authorized vendor, or an Apple store. John, out of curiosity, do you happen to know what year and model your Mac is?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2013, at 11:26 AM, "David Griffith" <d.griff...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> It can take quite a time for updates to be installed so would
counsel giving
> the machine lots of time to complete any update. I think I had to
wait about
> 30 minutes once.
> The normal way to force a reboot is to hold the power button down.
> The advice Apple gave me though, when I had a problem with my iMac was > to > unplug the machine, wait 10 seconds and then start up the machine > again.
>
> With a laptop  I guess that involves removing the battery as well.
>
> David Griffith

Mac-Access forum at

> As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we do our very best to
ensure that
> strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should > something

> You can find an archive of all messages posted    to the
Mac-Access forum at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

> As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we do our very best to
ensure that the Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free. However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.

> Please remember to update your membership preferences
periodically by visiting the list website at:

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we do our very best to ensure that the Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free. However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.