Some answers below.
1. I think as a rule of thumb quic nav is mainly used for navagating the web

but not otherwise.  Is this correct?

Not really - it is very useful on the web but even more useful as a general
replacement for Voiceover commands. For example I always interact on my
Bluetooth keyboard by using left and down arrow which is far easier than
shift VO down arrow. I use Quick Nav in Finder and most applications.

2. While I know that single key navagation can be used with the tab key, I
cannot work out when I need to tab and when I need to vo right arrow.

Basically with the settings you have on your Mac the use of the Tab key
moves from elements to element but also interacts and uninteracts
automatically so it replicates the experience of Windows. Just using VO
arrow will not provide you with this automatic interaction..

3. Interacting and uninteracting, I just don't know when and when not to do
this.  When someone has guided me they have said to interact and now
uninteract, left to my own devices I cannot make a decision as to when to
interact and when not to.

See above for interacting with the tab key. . You actually interact on
Windows all the time but it is called different things. I have emailed
separately about this. You do need to get used to exploring screens on the
Mac Interface. in most cases where you need to interact Voiceover will
announced this by describing the element , most typically a table, a scroll
area, or html area. When Voiceover announces these elements of table, scroll
or html area etc. it is a big clue that you should either tab or interact to
go deeper to explore What is in these elements. As you become more familiar
with the particular examples you will do this automatically.

David Griffith