--- Gretchen Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does turning the firewall completely off count as
> "holes in xp's
> firewall?"
>
> I'm really stumped on this part (printing from Mac
> to PC).  I guess I'm
> not the only one having difficulty.  I am seeing a
> lot of posts from
> others who are having problems with this, too.  But,
> unfortunately,
> there aren't any easy solutions from what I've
> found.

Sure there is! Buy a used external HP JetDirect
ethernet print server box, make sure you get the
power supply. The oldest you want is the EX Plus
series because the firmware is updateable. The
box is configurable via Telnet and I think the
firmware may be updateable with Telnet too, but
it's simpler to run the update software on Windows.

What you need for these is a printer that's NOT at
all host based, the image rasterization must all be
done in the printer since there isn't the direct
parallel port connection between computer and printer.
Many Windows and Mac compatable printers have been
made that support parallel with Windows, USB with
Windows or PCI PowerMac and parallel via ethernet
JetDirect (or compatable) print server for 68k Mac
or NuBus PowerMac.
The print server option should also work on PCI
PowerMacs.

The extremely nifty thing with these little boxes is
they use far less power than a computer and you can
print to the printer from any computer on the LAN
without having to have another computer with a shared
printer running just so you can print.

If you have a place to park both printers, then one
of the three port servers would be ideal. Connect up
the parallel cables and a single ethernet cable,
reset the configuration to default by pressing the
Test button while connecting the power, print the
config pages to Port 1 by pressing Test then Telnet
to the server and configure it for your network.

Once it's set, you don't have to bother with it
again. HP has a Network Printer Install Wizard
for Windows that makes installing printers a snap.
They don't have such for Mac but it's very easy.

After you experience using a dedicated print server
box on your LAN, you'll never ever want to muck
around with sharing printers directly connected to
a computer.

=====
Say hello to Juror #49. Yep, I'm on jury duty until the end of March. Gotta call in
each weekend. Fun.